18/07/2013

A Pretty Sweet Day, She Wrote

This post was held up by reasons, but it is about last Wednesday. It was the last full day I had in Helsinki before coming up to Oulu for about a week, so obviously I spent it with Laura.

Much of the day was how it usually is when we hang out at her and Marc's place — watching telly, writing postcards, being silly — but in the evening we deviated from the pattern. We took Marc's car and went off in search of a sushi place. Picked the second one, since the first was full and we would have had to wait quite a while. So, ended up in a place called Tokio 55. Amazing, it was.

...well, there were some issues with the wasabi. The chefs had included some in many of the rolls, and Laura and I (she more than I, much much more) are both rather sensitive to spicy food. Sensitive as in "cannot handle". The second round was ordered sans mouth-burning green goo.

Most of the rolls were good, but one really stood out. It was probably some variation of a California roll. Not entirely sure, though. Its appearance had me slightly skeptical, but the minute I put the roll in my mouth, nirvana exploded on my tongue. My exact words? "Oh my god, this is gorgeous." As far as I can remember, I have never experienced that reaction to food before. Ever. I may have felt that something I ate was a piece of heaven at that particular moment in time, but never have I been inspired to exclaim the virtues of something out loud. I really need to go there again sometime.

For dessert, both Marc and I had chocolate fondant with green tea ice cream. Yum. Laura had some sort of parfait.

After stuffing ourselves completely full (seriously, I felt like I was going to explode) we went back to the flat for a while. Laura and I finished watching the episode of Ghost Whisperer we had started prior to the sushi hunt.

Sometime around eleven, I began preparing to leave. Marc had promised to give me a ride home on his motorcycle, so I put on some boots (which they had found a few weeks earlier by the dumpsters or something), borrowed Laura's leather trousers, and finished off with the red leather jacket I had taken with me (on the off chance that this would happen, and because I had said I'd show it to Marc). Then, off we went.

It was BRILLIANT. I saw some parts of the city I had not been to previously, and the route we took had some really lovely scenery. We also passed a building that I am itching to investigate. Had to go look for it on Google Maps to find out exactly what it was, but apparently it's an out-of-use army barracks. Methinks that might be a good first destination for some urban exploration...

Anyway. Photos. :3










Next proper update (hopefully) on Saturday. Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment