22/06/2014

Book Review: The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss

The Vesuvius Club (Lucifer Box, #1)The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think I must have spent less than ten hours altogether reading this novel, and that in a single day. It has been a while since I finished a book that quickly. Then again, I do my fastest reading when travelling and today I spent approximately six hours sitting in a car. That accounts for most of the novel.

What to say of the story itself? I liked it a great deal, and although there were some twists I saw coming long beforehand, the form those twists took was unexpected. The narrative is in first person and past tense, which is never the easiest thing to pull off but fits this particular story splendidly. Lucifer Box is conceited as anything — and it is very difficult not to adore him. His relationship with Charlie Jackpot is marvellous, and I hope it remains as wonderful in the sequels. Yes, I will be getting my hands on those sooner or later!

I admit that I expected much from a book written by Mark Gatiss. I was not disappointed.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment