16/08/2014

Ropecon 2014

As before, the last weekend of July brought thousands of roleplay and game enthusiasts together in Dipoli, Espoo for the biggest Nordic RP convention. I attended, obviously, and this year was part of the team responsible for card game tournaments. Lots of MtG players. Lots. The experience was different to that of the GM info team, and not entirely in positive ways—but the reason for that can be found in my own social anxiety, not any fault of the team leader's or fellow workers'. Being also in the pool of back-up personnel, I got to handle the videotaping of a lecture. The experience was not horrible.

Cosplays are diversifying, although it's kind of sad to see many of the old favourites (Naruto, Potter, etc.) dwindling. Group cosplays are still going strong; I spotted X-Men, a good number of Disney princesses, and probably some others that I'm now failing to remember. The Slenderman from last year did not seem to make a re-appearance, which I am both glad and disappointed about. Glad because he freaked me out, disappointed because I really wanted a photo. Ah, well.

Here are a few that I managed to snap during the weekend.

                                                                                                                                         
You can't see it very well, but there's a pin that says "The Doctor - Here to help" on this Eleven's jacket.


Link playing his ocarina. Zelda OoT, even though I never finished it, is still one of my favourite games.


I may have squeaked when I first spotted this pair. And look, they even have Pascal!


I'm not quite sure what is going on here, but it was fun to follow the set-up.


Now that I'm looking at these pictures, these two are definitely of the Deadpool variety. Damn tricksters.


One of the highlights of the event was definitely the water fight, which they're planning to get into the programme booklet next year. (Photo © Samuli Airaksinen)

Everyone versus everyone, and we continued for as long as we had breath to do so. (Photo © Samuli Airaksinen)

No comments:

Post a Comment